Saturday 9 May 2015

Methods of data collection

Whilst working professionally as a dance teacher I have found how time consuming preparation is. Daily I am drafting class plans, assessing, choreographing, preparing for shows and exams, learning new syllabi, updating playlists, printing scripts... the list goes on.

This on top of my BAPP work has been very challenging and although I am used to working to time constraints within my professional practice, when the work load was increased it was essential for me to adapt to the timescale and consider the tools planned for my inquiry.

Although I had planned to record interviews and transcribe. I found myself taking down notes in the interview so that I had answers in front of me there and then. This was extremely useful as I was able to look through my notes towards the end of the interview to see if any responses needed further detail. Had I simply just recorded the interview I may not have picked up on any unclarified questions.

It was also quicker to type up my notes, relay them back to the interviewee in an email for approval. Although using an unplanned recording method, I was still able to revert back to the interview if needed.

I had also originally planned to conduct my interviews face to face. Unfortunately an interview with the schools Injury Therapist could not go ahead due to unforeseen circumstances. Due to my own busy schedule and also that of the working professional, I conducting my interview via email and telephone. Although I was worried about not meeting the interviewee/participant in person, the answers provided were very honest and detailed. I felt as though the data collected was unhinged by my own interpretation or bias, in a sense the words came direct from the source.

The experience gained from conducting Interviews and Questionnaires has been invaluable. I feel confident in interacting and collaborating with other professionals, in charge of my own learning and development and have the knowledge of how to carry out a work-based inquiry. The process has taught me how important it is to take action and the importance of contributing to research. This kind of learning is critical within my place of work as the research implicates my professional practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment