Thursday 30 April 2015

Reflective writing - Journal entry

Whilst researching injury support systems, I found that many sportsman, dancers, actors and singers use reflective writing as a kind of therapy. This made me think about how I have used my own personal journal throughout BAPP.

My journal has not been shared with others on my blog but instead has been a personal learning resource throughout the course. I decided to reflect upon my journal experience and looking back to Module 1, I can see my journal began more factual and after moving on towards Module 2 and 3, my entries became more descriptive. How I felt about what had happened, what thoughts were provoked from my experience that day or week.

I feel this progression is reflected in my work and learning. When I first started blogging, I shared blogs that were outlined in the course handbooks and used blogger solely to post my task as required. In Module 2, I can see that my blogs then begin present a sense of confidence and description. I began sharing posts not only required by the course but that explain my journey, how I have felt, what I had achieved and what interested me from my research. Moving on to Module 3, I enjoy blogging, commenting on peoples post and enjoy when people post comments on my own blog. I use my own blog and other peoples blogs to increase my knowledge, advance my learning and for inspiration in teaching and career opportunities. It is fulfilling to know my blogs and opinions are of use to others... knowledge should be shared!

Below is an entry from my journal February 2015-

"Today I spent 4 hours researching injury support systems and have found some really interesting information. It has bought back memories from my own training and injuries. I know how I felt and would like to help others who too are suffering with injury. Hopefully my inquiry can do this but I am also considering looking at a Dance Therapy course. As I typed in Dance Therapy into google, I discovered a girl I danced at sixth form with has recently graduated from London Met with a Bsc Dance and Sports Therapy so I have sent her a private message on Facebook to hear all about her experiences. I spoke to a close friend about my thoughts and feel really motivated to move forward into Dance Therapy. Apparently "I'll be good at it!"..... I really hope so!"

This journal entry marks a turning point in my career aspirations and how the work-based inquiry has had a part to play in that. I want to further my career so that I can continue to teach but also become a qualified dance therapist. When I feel unsure about certain situations or taking steps in my career I look back towards my reflective journal for guidance. Sometimes it can be motivating and my own words encourage me to keep going!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca, great post on the importance of reflection and how it has helped you through the whole of the BAPP process, I really feel it would be of great help to those people just starting out on the course. For me personally, I have found my personal learning journal to be most beneficial to me during this final Module, due mainly to the fact that I can access it whenever and always carry it with me to jot down my developing thought processes (blogspot is filtered by my work internet system, boo!)

    Finally, with regards to the above picture: what is one thing I am going to do differently after reading this? Not forget how important the alternate view of an outsider is in shaping developing thought patterns. In sharing online with the SIGs/BAPP network, there is more insight to be gained.

    Pip

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. I will visit your blog regularly for Some latest post.
    Sports Therapy Bournemouth

    ReplyDelete