Tuesday 18 February 2014

Starting out...

Having two jobs, one in the dance world and the other for financial support, I have struggled to balance my work load and find the extra time required to blog and take my first steps on the BAPP course.
Feeling completely confused at the start of what was expected from me I can now say that through reading other's blogs I can grasp the importance and helpfulness of being an interactive blogger!

I always wanted to dance from a young age, I loved watching performers, being involved in small plays and musicals and always wanted to wear a tutu! I, however, didn't enter my first ballet or jazz class until the age of 14 at which I was thrown into the beginners class with children half my age! With hard work - and a few tears - the teachers began to push me further and everyone could notice my progress. I went from beginners to grade 6 in 2 years and I felt like the luckiest girl in the world.

Despite this, when I reflect back to why I am here even writing this blog, enrolling onto BAPP, and even being a part of the Performing Industry I can really see that my love for the industry started when I was just 4 and my parents and grandparents took me to my first Irish dancing lesson at the Cafferkey School of Irish Dancing. It seems crazy to me that I had never thought back or reflected on my roots and starting point until enrolling on this course and now I look forward to everything else I will experience and learn.

When I began full time training at Cambridge Performing arts at Bodywork studios I felt determined and confident with my career choice and knew where I wanted to end up - on the Stage!
Having considered that I would only pursue that path if I managed to get a full DaDA Scholarship,
I practiced and practiced every evening after School and whilst completing my A Levels. I also took myself to the McKenzie School of Speech and Drama where I received honors up until grade 8 when I stopped to focus on other aspects of training.

I also began to play the Button Accordion mainly as a hobby and because I loved Irish Music and how it made me feel! I soon began participating in competitions and managed to make it to the All England final in which I came third in the country. This is a skill that has surprisingly helped me in later life being a huge lover of musicality in dance and live music.

Having graduated with a Level 6 National Diploma in Professional Dance my outlook towards the industry and my own personal career changed dramatically. Due to injury I took time out and went travelling to Malaysia and Australia. Here I spent many days reflecting and thinking what should I do next. Teaching dance arrived on my door step sooner than I thought however I enjoy every second. I currently work in one of England's Premier independent schools as an Assistant Dance Teacher and hope after my degree to complete my PGCE and open up the opportunity to teach full time.

In my next blog I will upload my CV and look forward to any improvements suggested!! Please do comment :)

Becky x



1 comment:

  1. Hi Becky, I enjoyed reading your first blog. I'm working out on the road at the minute as I'm halfway through a touring theatre contract and so at first I found the work-work balance of both that and Uni work difficult to manage, but I'm into the swing of things now, I think! Your dancing history sounds really interesting and it seems you have worked really hard to get to where you are. I remember being asked to do RAD ballet lessons to improve my dancing further before I went away to study and must have been about 17/18 at the time, with all the other girls about 10 in their point shoes! I looked like a giant in comparison! Your travels sound AMAZING! I'd really like to complete this course and then travel before coming home and doing my PGCE. Maybe see you at a campus session in the future? If I make it to one!
    Pip :)

    ReplyDelete