Monday 2 March 2015

Phone call with Paula - What is Context?

Yesterday I had a conversation with Paula concerning my feedback, changes to my inquiry and next steps.

Paula began to ask about the context of my inquiry to help focus my plans. What does the inquiry mean to me? Why am I looking into support for injured dancers? Something inspired that topic?
I actually struggled to answer some of Paula's question and she admitted it can be awkward to answer when somebody asks "what's the context?"...what does that even mean?!

I began to think, why is this the inquiry topic I have chosen? I am not doing this because I have to or it is a requirement of the degree, I was doing this because it interests me and is something close to my heart. It made me question was I currently able to support the dancers I teach? Did I feel like I had to know more about it before I could support my dancers and workplace? I think the answer to that is Yes, that's exactly the reason. Having researched literature and specifically injury related documentation I have already uncovered many things I didn't know before. For example, in London there is a specific NHS clinic for dance injuries and if you ask your GP to be referred there as a training or already professional dancer you can receive free professional treatment by doctors, physiotherapists, psychologists and health experts etc. I wish I had known this in my training and I'm sure this knowledge would benefit future dancers.

During my own training, I had numerous injuries due to hypermobility in certain body parts and stiffness in others. I felt that I had just recovered from one injury and then would suffer from another. Maybe I didn't give myself a realistic recovery time which is an area that really interests me and I am going to look into further. My injuries soon became worse psychologically than physically when I kept doubting if I would ever survive in this industry. If my body could cope with the intensity.  And how frustrating it must be for the teachers that I had to sit out or miss class.

Ultimately I want to make a difference to my teaching, my workplace and also the wider dance community. Firstly in terms of my own teaching I would like to be able to recognise signs of distress or lack of coping and be able to advise on support available. Also adopt some of the skills which can be integrated into teaching such as offering praise, constructive criticism and feedback. Secondly, within my workplace, I would like to promote the importance of having support in place and making sure the dancers know about it. Lastly in the wider community, my inquiry has inspired to look further into becoming trained in some form of dance therapy so that I can offer a service and make a difference to dancers both in vocational training and working professionally.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca, I also didn't know about this clinic in London so this is great for me to obtain from you but I suppose what you have already done by researching is you have provided yourself with some vital information to help support your future students. I also think that because you have suffered with injuries you are learning from your experiences and it will hopefully give you an insight of what you need to look out for in your students. I think dance therapy would be a great thing to support your future career and would certainly broaden your horizons of possibilities. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, thanks for your comment. I'm glad to share this with you and hopefully other Dancers too. I feel guilty that it took me a degree to research into my field of work and better myself as a teacher. My research and reading has actually influenced my interests and has opened other career paths I may wish to consider after BAPP. I worried that being injured myself may bias my inquiry however I always keep in mind that my inquiry is to benefit my own teaching and the future students so that hopefully they will either sustain injury prevention or have the facilities and support to manage injuries. I think this allows me to take on a positive approach towards injury rather than a negative one! I can see you are already thinking of your inquiry and basing it upon your teaching/education so seems like you are already on the right track for Module 3!! ! :) Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca - sent you an email today about your questions - I think it is very related to what you are saying in this blog e.g. one question that you are exploring is how to relate the inquiry back to your teaching - so I suggest actually having that as one of your sub-questions. Bw

    ReplyDelete