Friday 27 February 2015

Starting a Literature Review


After reading the 'Starting a Literature Review' study advice from Reading University I decided to take their guidance on board and start with a spider diagram.
 
"Note down all your initial thoughts on the topic. You can use a spidergram or list to help you identify the areas you want to investigate further. It is important to do this before you start reading so that you don't waste time on unfocussed and irrelevant reading."


Having written lines of Inquiry surrounding my topic of injury and its physical and psychological effects for professionally training dancers (Blue) I then thought about what other research might be relevant to my investigation and who I may need opinions/data from (Red).

What research has already been done on this topic?
What are the sub-areas of the topic you need to explore?
What other research (perhaps not directly on the topic) might be relevant to your investigation?
How do these sub-topics and other research overlap with your investigation?



I also found this diagram of an inverted triangle useful to depict how my research can start broad and gradually sift through to firstly, selected literature that overlaps with my research, and finally, those that are directly relevant and significant to my inquiry.

I have used Summon through MDX Unihub and have found some very interesting full articles surrounding my topic as well as external literature that I have sourced from books and websites.

In my next blog I will share my literature reviews.



No comments:

Post a Comment