Thursday 11 December 2014

Task 6a - Informal Trial

Task 6a - Informal Trial

Since revising reader 6 I have begun to further understand how I will conduct my inquiry during Module 3. I will consider the variety of tools and allocate those which I think are most suitable to my inquiry and needs as an insider-researcher. Initially the tools which I believe will be most relevant to my work are observation and questionnaire/survey.

Below is a brief pilot of my questionnaire, with views from both Performer and Ex performer. This is still a work in progress and not necessarily the ‘professional’ questionnaire I would hand over to my participants however I believe it has helped to instigate my process of planning. Due to ethical restrictions I have anonymised the feedback. (Person 1 & 2)
 
Person: 1

Profession:  A

 a) Performer
 b) Ex-performer
 c) Teacher
 d) Other (please state) ...........................................

 1. It is often discussed that dancers face huge pressures from the industry. What would you say are the top 5 pressures? 
1 – Image – Body weight, Looks, Style
2 – Competition – Audition pressure
3 – Mental health/Depressive thoughts – Not good enough, Will never make it
4 – Physical pain and endurance – injury, exhaustion
5 – Unguaranteed career/work – No regular wage or income

 2. Do these pressures consider you to change profession? If not, why do/did you keep doing what you are doing?

No, I love dancing and despite the pressures of the industry there is no other career I could consider. Certainly not a sit down office job but if I want to earn more money I will take on extra teaching.

 3. Do you think staff are aware of these pressures, whether they are a dance teacher of part of faculty?

Partially, I think they are aware of the pressures but not necessarily how to deal with individuals experiencing problems!


4. What measures are in place to help dancers facing such pressures?

Students have a tutor they can talk to and if needed the tutor can refer them for extra help.


 5. What else do you think could be put in place to help the students that the school/company is not doing already?

Discussion groups – conversations regarding weight, image and personal insecurities. Also can cover other topics allowing students to express their feelings and gain support from the group leader and other members/students experiencing similar problems.

Train staffing on use of language, teaching methods, and appropriate action for students who are experiencing anxiety, depression, or low self-esteem.


 6. Are students aware and informed of people/organisations that are available to help? How do you inform the students?

Kind of, there are support lines and contact details in the student handbook but they are not really addressed. I think students would be hesitant to use these.


7. What is your policy on contacting family members/medical staff if you believe there is an issue or problem which could affect the development and well-being of a child?

A parent/carer/medical staff should only be contacted if there IS an issue which will affect a student’s well-being. Although staff have the authority to do so in regulation with safeguarding I believe it should be discussed with the student initially so they are also aware of the process of operation. This is not always done.


8. If you are a member of staff, is there regular and up to date training on safeguarding?

N/A


Any further comments on the topic of ‘Pressures that dancers face’ and ‘Methods of dealing with pressure’ welcome here:

Although expensive, I personally believe a dance school which offers professional vocational training should have someone on site that is trained to deal with people suffering with psychological concerns. Although Teachers are often aware of the pressures they are not always sufficiently trained in noticing the signs or how to deal with them.
In a sense, somebody trained in psychotherapy would know how to probe a student and make the student feel comfortable enough to talk and receive help.

Person: 2

 Profession: B

a) Performer
b) Ex-performer
c) Teacher
d) Other (please state) ......................................

1. It is often discussed that dancers face huge pressures from the industry. What would you say are the top 5 pressures?

1 – Confidence
2 – Image eg. weight and looks
3 – Injury
4 – Pressures from other dancers, team mates – regular friendship fall outs.
5 –Auditioning and contracted work – not reliable


2. Do these pressures consider you to change profession? If not, why do/did you keep doing what you are doing?

Yes, in fact I did change profession. Mainly due to injury but also because I had lost my passion for dance during college as the fun and enjoyment element was lost.


3. Do you think staff are aware of these pressures, whether they are a dance teacher of part of faculty?

In terms of my experience, although aware of injury dancers feel pressurised to return to dancing far too early and way before their injury has had time to heal. You feel you are being left behind and almost as though you are nuisance to the teacher if you are sitting out.


4. What measures are in place to help dancers facing such pressures?

Honestly, I do not think many! As my injury was severe, I felt that initially there was support from the injury clinic onsite but as the injury was long term, the support faded when really it was when I needed it most. The longer I was out of dance the more down I felt about my injury and recovery.

In terms of other support, even if a teacher would like to help it is difficult to find the time in such a busy timetable.


5. What else do you think could be put in place to help the students that the school/company is not doing already?

Scheduled meetings with a teacher or tutor. These should be regular maybe once a week, rather than once a term. In the dance world a lot can change daily let alone weekly!


6. Are students aware and informed of people/organisations that are available to help? How do you inform the students? 

I remember there were websites and numbers in my student planner and occasionally we had a workshop looking at media and photoshop images but on the whole I’m not convinced help available was addressed enough.


7. What is your policy on contacting family members if you believe there is an issue or problem which could affect the development and well-being of a child?

It should be discussed with the student first. I understand in some cases, such as students suffering with eating disorders or mental health, that the case is more critical and needs further attention. 


8. If you are a member of staff, is there regular and up to date training on safeguarding?

N/A

Any further comments on the topic of ‘Pressures that dancers face’ and ‘Methods of dealing with pressure’ welcome here:

What is a bad experience for some may be a good experience for others and vice versa. Should there be a certain age when dancers are allowed to commence full time training? At 16 are they able to cope with these pressures? In my experience, the older more mature dancers seemed to cope slightly better with the pressure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment